“I am always the most positive person” said no one ever. Because….everyone has “off” days. But you know what is so great about having an “off day?” It is an opportunity to pick yourself back up and be even better the next day. It feels great when you can get out of that funk. The key is to remember that life will hand you “ups and downs” and “obstacles.” The key is to never give up and understand that these obstacles are simply little detours in the road to our destinations. How do you find your way back?
- Surround yourself with supportive and amazing people. The key to a great leader is to surround oneself with people who are even greater. Form a united team of friends, family and colleagues.
- Remember that everyone has ‘challenges.’ You are not unique in this category. I know it is hard, but it is true. The key to success is in how you address your challenges and work through them.
- Help someone else. I always find that when I am having a down day, what can make me feel better is to give some of my time to someone less fortunate or someone who needs a helping hand or an ear to listen.
- Learn from your mistakes. Our biggest challenge lies in ‘not’ repeating the same mistakes. Look back on a situation and ask yourself “how could I have handled that differently?” I learned this lesson with age, so maybe I can help someone learn that a little earlier.
- Ask for help. There is no shame in asking for some help. Another lesson learned with age. It is not a sign of weakness. it is a sign of strength.
- Never give up on your dreams. When you give up on a dream you are giving up on making the most of your amazing gift-life. So use every second of every day to make your dreams a reality. Set your goals and your possibilities are endless.
“Looking out on the road rushing under my wheels, Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields, In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up 101, I don’t know where I’m running now, I ‘m just running on.”
-Jackson Browne, Running on Empty
It can be daunting, trying to get ahead, running your own company and accomplishing your normal every day tasks. I would be lying to you if I told you I never feel like I am ‘running on empty.’ Sure I feel like that sometimes because it is normal. I just returned from three weeks of non stop travel for Aesthetics 360 and always having to be “on.” I love it! But, this momentum it can take its toll on anyone.
The key is to sit back when you feel this way and readjust. Refocus and look at your current state. Are you still in motion to achieve your desired state or did you get side tracked and derailed? All business plans require adjusting and fine tuning from time to time. This is what you need to do when you see yourself spiraling a bit out of control. Stop, look at what you are doing and own it. Then work on your plan.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself and remember why you have started the path of working for yourself. My reason for working for myself was to have more control over how I live my life and how I can help other people. I am the boss of me.
- Do not take on extra projects just because you see dollar signs
- Know what you can do and do what you know
- Ask for help. It’s not failure to reach out to your colleagues and friends-it is smart.
- Be prepared to spend money to make money. That means sometimes outsourcing for some projects that would normally be all yours and paying out more for labor and less for your take. Because growing your business means taking on projects and showing you can deliver!
- Know you cannot be the expert on everything. Find your talent and don’t oversell. This way you will always over deliver.
- Hire people who may be more talented than you! Create your dream team. Meet mine!