Do you ever feel like there is never enough time in the day to accomplish your tasks? “I just can’t add one more thing to my list!” Do you find your list is never ending? That can become a large problem when you start working for yourself. It is easy to have a tendency to over promise in order to get the work . You probably have every intention of following up with your deliverables but maybe your deliverables are unattainable.
When this happens is it is time to reprioritize. You may have a list of current projects but lists are only effective if they help you accomplish your tasks and manage project goals. Here are some tips:
- Add no more than 3 items to your daily list of “to do “for that day”
- Start with the easier tasks that you can complete quickly, this will give you more time for the others.
- Add deadline dates to the additional list items that are in process
- Use a visual aid, like a calendar, to view your deadlines by week and month-This will help you view your timeline to see if it is manageable or if it needs to be adjusted.
- Set appropriate expectations on completions of work – Don’t automatically tell customers you can have something to them in a week, if you already have multiple projects due at the same time.
Most importantly make time for things that count. It is important to take care of you. Whether that is a 30 minute walk, a trip to the gym or doing the crossword puzzle. You are no good to anyone if you are emotionally drained. Stop and recharge and take care of yourself daily. The tasks will still be there tomorrow!
“Looking out on the road rushing under my wheels, Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields, In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up 101, I don’t know where I’m running now, I ‘m just running on.”
-Jackson Browne, Running on Empty
It can be daunting, trying to get ahead, running your own company and accomplishing your normal every day tasks. I would be lying to you if I told you I never feel like I am ‘running on empty.’ Sure I feel like that sometimes because it is normal. I just returned from three weeks of non stop travel for Aesthetics 360 and always having to be “on.” I love it! But, this momentum it can take its toll on anyone.
The key is to sit back when you feel this way and readjust. Refocus and look at your current state. Are you still in motion to achieve your desired state or did you get side tracked and derailed? All business plans require adjusting and fine tuning from time to time. This is what you need to do when you see yourself spiraling a bit out of control. Stop, look at what you are doing and own it. Then work on your plan.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself and remember why you have started the path of working for yourself. My reason for working for myself was to have more control over how I live my life and how I can help other people. I am the boss of me.
- Do not take on extra projects just because you see dollar signs
- Know what you can do and do what you know
- Ask for help. It’s not failure to reach out to your colleagues and friends-it is smart.
- Be prepared to spend money to make money. That means sometimes outsourcing for some projects that would normally be all yours and paying out more for labor and less for your take. Because growing your business means taking on projects and showing you can deliver!
- Know you cannot be the expert on everything. Find your talent and don’t oversell. This way you will always over deliver.
- Hire people who may be more talented than you! Create your dream team. Meet mine!
Have you ever felt you just can’t break into a new career or you have excelled so well at your job that you feel you have sabatoged your chances of advancement? Maybe your current employer will not allow you a chance to spread your wings because they are subconsciously afraid they will not be able to find anyone who can do your job? Maybe you are simply not Excited about what you do anymore but you still feel you need the stability of your paycheck and insurance.
When this happens it is time to reevaluate, adjust and consider what makes you happy. Think about what motivates you. We call that your “why” and the time to take your Leap of Faith
There is no magic age to change career paths but there is that moment when you need to be open to opportunity.Don’t Miss The Opportunity!!!! When you stop prejudging things like network marketing and become open to group events inviting you to learn more about earning an extra pay check… you simply become open to a change in direction you will be amazed what doors become available to you.
You begin to brainstorm and your creative juices begin to flow again and the world is open to possabilites! And it is fun!
Tips to finding your new career path:
- Ask your friends what they think your best qualities are and tell them you want to branch out in your career or start your own business. You will be surprised what doors will open.
- Ask your friends and family for support. Share your ideas with them.
- Accept all invitations to events. You never know what door will open or who you will meet.
- Believe in yourself. What is the worst thing that happens? You tried and fell and you can get right back up and try again. Inspire others by your courage!
- Decide if you want to work alone or with a team. This will help you craft your business plan. Team or no team
- Think about low risk ready to start businesses versus starting from scratch with a line of credit or investors . Decide what is best for you! Check out Clapointe.myrandf.com
- If you are my age you might feel you need some help learning about social media platforms -there are many free programs at libraries and on line. If you Google social media you will learn a ton from blogs like mine. Check out things like “Think with Google” to learn about consumers and the internet.
I meet people every day who are barley making if from paycheck to paycheck. They are doing the best they can but somehow life has thrown them some curveball. They are not alone. We all have a Story .Take a look at Brittish Novelist J.K. Rowling.
She was pretty beaten down with the death of her mother, a short lived marriage, living in a tiny flat in Edinburgh with her daughter, living on a welfare check.
Struggling to raise her daughter she continued to work on her book. If at first you don’t succeed try again. Her first book was said to be rejected by three publishers but she finally did get it published. Wow! Persistence and Leap of Faith.
Today J.K. Rowling is among one of the highest earning women in Brittain. Her success lies largely on her belief in herself, a desire to be successful and having persevered.
Nothing is free in life…well very little. And if you are waiting to win the lotto…those odds are not great! How many times do people tell me- I don’t have time to start something new-I don’t have the money to start something different- I am underwater and I just need to get through this and then I will think about it.
The time is now, not later. Don’t waste your time dreaming about what you want. Grab that brass ring and start your path to achieving your dream. It is OK to fail. Not everyone gets a homerun the first try. The key is to learn from your mistakes and put your big girl or big boy pants on and start walking again!
Are you sitting at a desk waiting for your break or are you working from anywhere? This is my office today. Two website reviews done! One proposal sent out for Aesthetics 360. Worked on quick books. Time for the crossword puzzle and three posts for my Rodan+Fields business.