Do you ever feel like there is never enough time in the day to accomplish your tasks? “I just can’t add one more thing to my list!” Do you find your list is never ending? That can become a large problem when you start working for yourself. It is easy to have a tendency to over promise in order to get the work . You probably have every intention of following up with your deliverables but maybe your deliverables are unattainable.
When this happens is it is time to reprioritize. You may have a list of current projects but lists are only effective if they help you accomplish your tasks and manage project goals. Here are some tips:
- Add no more than 3 items to your daily list of “to do “for that day”
- Start with the easier tasks that you can complete quickly, this will give you more time for the others.
- Add deadline dates to the additional list items that are in process
- Use a visual aid, like a calendar, to view your deadlines by week and month-This will help you view your timeline to see if it is manageable or if it needs to be adjusted.
- Set appropriate expectations on completions of work – Don’t automatically tell customers you can have something to them in a week, if you already have multiple projects due at the same time.
Most importantly make time for things that count. It is important to take care of you. Whether that is a 30 minute walk, a trip to the gym or doing the crossword puzzle. You are no good to anyone if you are emotionally drained. Stop and recharge and take care of yourself daily. The tasks will still be there tomorrow!